Be a part of creating Scarlet Connections for our next incoming class of students!
Are you someone who has helped a student find an academic building, utilized Rutgers resources, or provided advice to another student? Do you enjoy helping others? Are you proud to be a Scarlet Knight? Then you are an excellent fit for our Knight Ambassador student leader position!!
Through our Scarlet Connections program, Knight Ambassadors assist in connecting new students with other community members and highlighting resources that will assist in their transition to Rutgers University-New Brunswick. Being a Knight Ambassador is an opportunity to foster a sense of community, assist incoming students with navigating campus resources, and share your own Rutgers pride with incoming students.
- Guiding incoming students through their first semester
- Providing experience, advise, knowledge, and pride
- Answering questions
- Connecting students with each other and our Rutgers community
- Navigating Rutgers campus, resources, and services
- Weekly Communication with your student group
- Creating Connection Opportunities
There will be an initial meeting at the end of the spring semester and training over the summer. Your role will truly begin when new students start at Rutgers for the fall semester. Check out the information below and sign up to attend an information session! You will only be able to apply to be a Knight Ambassador if you attend an information session.
Complete our Knight Ambassador Interest Form to receive additional information.
- Tuesday, February 9th 8:00-9:00pm
- Friday, February 12th 2:00-3:00pm
- Wednesday, February 17th 11:00am-12:00pm
Application Opens: Friday, February 12th 2:00-3:00pm
Applications due: Sunday, February 21st at 11:59pm
Individual Interviews: Monday, March 8th – Friday, March 12th
New Hire Meeting: Friday, April 16th/Sunday, April 18th
Attendance at an Information Session is mandatory to receive a link to the application to apply. Information Sessions will be hosted virtually on Zoom. Sessions are one hour in length and you must attend the entire duration of the session. Use the link below to pre-register for the date you wish to attend; you will be emailed a link that is unique to only you.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can apply?
To apply for the Knight Ambassador position you must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a currently enrolled Rutgers undergraduate student with at least one completed semester by January 2021
- Must be a matriculating undergraduate student for the fall semester of 2021
- Attend one mandatory information sessions
- Have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA at the time of application
- Be in good academic and conduct standing
- What type of characteristics or abilities are you looking for?
Many people tend to assume that you need to be outgoing, high energy and extroverted. However, that is not true. There is no set list of characteristics we look for in a Knight Ambassador. We are looking to hire a diverse group of individuals from various backgrounds who have different personalities, strengths leadership and work experiences. Each individual’s uniqueness is what makes our program so special. However, some of the qualities we look for in our leaders include school spirit, cooperation, management skills, adaptability to change, and work ethic.
- Do I have to be involved on campus in order to become a Knight Ambassador?
Being involved on campus is a great benefit to applicant but not a requirement. In fact many previous students who have worked for our office were never formally involved on campus before being hired.
- What are information sessions (info sessions)?
Each info session is typically an hour and will be hosted virtually on Zoom. Staff will walk you through all the important information you should know before applying, such as GPA requirements, what we are looking for in our Knight Ambassadors, availability and other important dates, and benefits of being a Knight Ambassador. There is certain information many applicants look past, and we want to make sure each applicant is as well-informed as possible on what this job entails.
- During the semester, what's a typical work week like for a Knight Ambassador?
You will be asked to work between 4-5 hours per week. Typically, this will include group meetings with your incoming students, communication with students (emails, GroupMe, etc.), preparation for weekly group meetings with your incoming students and other connection opportunities, attending events, and weekly/biweekly meetings with the entire Knight Ambassador team/supervisors.
- What is the timeline/work dates?
Knight Ambassadors who are hired will need to attend New Hire Meeting in April, training in August, will be asked to work welcome week (end of August/beginning of September) and the first eights weeks of the semester. More information will be provided during the Information Sessions and throughout the Knight Ambassador Interviews as we plan for the Fall 2021 semester.
- What is the compensation/benefits?
Knight Ambassadors is a paid position making $12/hr in the spring for training and $13/hr during summer training and the fall semester.
- What is the application process like?
Candidates must attend an Info Session to receive a link to the application. After application review, select candidates are invited to participate in Individual Interviews.
- I haven't gotten an email yet with a link to the application.
Please make sure you are checking the Scarletmail account you provided at the information session. In addition make sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts. Please also check your spam/junk folder to ensure the email with application link was not sent there. If there is still an issue, please email email@example.com.